This program encourages you to read 1000 books with your child before he or she enters Kindergarten – a goal that experts say children need to reach to help them learn to read for themselves. One of the best ways to encourage learning is to spend time sharing books every day. Reading together helps develop important pre-reading skills that provide a solid reading foundation – a key to school and learning success. Our goal at the Huron Public Library is to motivate all young children’s love for reading and to help them enter kindergarten ready to read. We are excited to offer this program and begin preparing our littlest patrons to be the biggest readers.
Plus, reading with your child is fun and an easy way to spend quality time with one another!
How to Get Started:
• CLICK HERE to register online or register in person at the Library.
• Read! Anyone can read to your child: grandparents, sibling, babysitters, aunts, uncles, and even your Children’s Librarians can be relied on to help read to your child.
• Record the titles you and your child read together in your “1000 Books” reading log. Your program kit contains 10 pages, each with 100 spaces, for you to enter those book titles.
• When you finish 100 books, bring your program kit to the Library for a special prize.
Frequently Asked Questions:
• Can my child read books more than once?
YES! Most children at an early age begin to find one or two books that are their favorites.
• Why do I have to check in at the Library after 100 books?
Your child will receive a small reward for every 100 books logged into our database. Come to the
Circulation Desk and have a friendly Librarian verify your titles and mark off each milestone in your
• Is there an alternative to filling out the record sheet for all 1000 books?
There is an app for your smart phone or tablet FREE at the app store on your device. Just
search for ‘1000 Books,' look for the logo, and begin your download. This app allows you to build
your child’s library simply by scanning the bar code of the book or by entering the title. Then the app
tracks the number of books and the titles stay in your child’s own personal digital library. For every
100 books, bring your device to the Circulation Desk and we will log your count into our database.
• What happens when my child completes 1000 books?
When you finish 1000 books, your child will receive a certificate of completion, a program graduation
picture, a small gift, and a new book dedicated in his/her name for our Children’s collection.
• When does the program end?
The program ends when your child finishes 1000 books or when they enter kindergarten,
whichever comes first.
• How can I plan and execute an attainable goal?
The earlier you begin the program, the more time you’ll have to complete the 1000 book count. If you
read three books a day, you’ll be able to reach that goal in about a year. If you start the program when
your child is an infant, you can read one book a day and be done before your baby turns three. Don’t
stress about the numbers! The most important goal is to create and share special moments along the
way and build a strong literary base for your child.