44839 Poetry Contest
Calling all poets living or working in the 44839 zip code! Submissions for our third annual poetry contest will be accepted from October 1 to December 31, 2019. Winners of this year’s contest will be announced in April 2020 during National Poetry Month. Poets can submit only once, with up to four poems of any style, and a maximum of four total pages.
First Place Prize: $75
Second Place Prize: $50
Third Place Prize: $25
Please review the full rules for submission listed below.
The second annual 44839 Huron Poetry Contest concluded in April, 2019. A team a judges independently scored each poem and arrived at consensus based on scoring. The winners were:
1st Place - David Reese for "Kairos and Cannonballs"
2nd Place - Mila Kette for "Trails"
3rd Place - Shannon Leigh for "Spring Green"
The poems submitted in the 2018 contest are collected in the book 44839: Poems from a Zip Code Vol. II published by Drinian Press. CLICK HERE to find a copy of 44839 Poems from a Zip Code Vol II.
Submission Guidelines for the 2019 Contest
Any poet who lives or works in the 44839 zip code may enter and be included in a published anthology. If your address is not in the 44839 zip code, add a note explaining your eligibility. Former Huron Poets Laureate and those employed by Drinian Press LLC are encouraged to submit entries, but they are not eligible for a cash prize.
Please read the following rules and regulations to submit a poem to the contest:
- Entries must be submitted between October 1 and December 31, 2019.
- Only one submission per poet will be accepted. An entry may consist of up to four poems written in any style. The total length of the submission, however, cannot exceed four pages.
- Contact information must be included: Name, address, phone, and email (if available). Since a goal of the contest is to create a community of poets, entrants cannot choose to be anonymous.
- Entries may be submitted via email attachment to: DrinianPress@frontier.com OR via regular mail: Drinian Press LLC, PO Box 63, Huron, Ohio 44839.
- Previously published poems are welcome, but entrants must indicate prior publication information in their submission.
- Manuscripts will not be returned.
- Winners will be announced at a Huron Library Poetry event during April of 2020.
- Submission to the contest grants rights for a one-time publication in any anthology created to document this event. All contributing poets will receive a free copy of this book.
- Contestants under 18 years of age not allowed unless there is an acknowledgment from a parent or guardian.
About the Judging Process
All submissions are copied without any identifying information so that the panel of judges sees only an anonymous poem. Each judge evaluates and scores entries independently. Scores are compiled and the group arrives at consensus. By the end of the process, judges know which poems are among the prize winners, but do not know the identities of the poets until announced at the Library event during National Poetry Month.
333 Williams St.
Huron, Ohio 44839